Why do so many startups use .io domains?
More than 250,000 .io domains are registered!
In recent years, there has been a surge in the number of startups using .io domains for their websites. The .io TLD, which originally stood for the British Indian Ocean Territory, has become increasingly popular among tech startups and companies. In this blog post, we'll explore some of the reasons why so many startups are using .io domains.
- Short and memorable: One of the primary reasons why startups are using .io domains is that they are short and easy to remember. This is important for startups that want to create a memorable brand and stand out in a crowded market.
- Tech-friendly: Another reason why startups are using .io domains is that they have a tech-friendly image - as IO is associated with INPUT / OUTPUT. Thus, the .io TLD is associated with whole technology branch and specifically innovation, which is important for startups that want to position themselves as cutting-edge and forward-thinking.
- Availability: The .com TLD, which is traditionally the most popular domain extension, is often already taken for popular keywords and brand names. .io domains are still relatively new, so there are more available options for startups to choose from.
- SEO benefits: .io domains can also have SEO benefits for startups. The .io TLD is recognized by search engines as a generic top-level domain (gTLD), which means it can rank just as well as other gTLDs like .com or .net. Additionally, startups that use .io domains may have an easier time ranking for tech-related keywords.
- Social proof: Finally, many startups may be using .io domains simply because they see other successful startups using them. This creates a sense of social proof and can make a .io domain seem more attractive and trustworthy to potential customers and investors.
In conclusion, there are several reasons why startups are using .io domains for their websites. These include the short and memorable nature of .io domains, their tech-friendly image, availability, SEO benefits, and social proof. While .com domains are still the most popular, startups may find that a .io domain is a good alternative that can help them stand out in a crowded market.